Your browser is no longer supported. Please
upgrade your browser
to improve your experience.
Game pie ingredients
- 1lb mixed game – pheasant, partridge, rabbit and venison
- 8 chestnut mushrooms
- 4 slices of smoked bacon
- 2 red onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 pint Madeira
- 1/2 pint veal jus
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- 2 carrots and 2 leeks sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Puff pastry
- 1 egg (egg wash)
- Fry the mixed game until browned in a pan and then keep to one side.
- Cook onions, mushrooms and bacon for two minutes in the same pan.
- Add flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add in Madeira and stock, redcurrant jelly and season.
- Bring to the boil then simmer until the meat is tender.
- Add vegetables and cook for 20 minutes.
- Line a dish with pastry and fill. Place pastry on top and crimp.
- Egg wash and cook for approximately 35 minutes.
This tasty festive dish is best served with Cornish blue pomme purée, roasted squash and sweet potato.
Attempted our game pie recipe yourself? We’d love to see your photos! Send over your culinary creations to Nick via firstname.lastname@example.org